Applied Physics Tutorial III b(1.0 credits)
|Course Type||:||Basic Specialized Courses|
|Course Name||:||Fundamental and Applied Physics|
|Starts 1||:||2 Spring Semester|
|Lecturer||:||Faculty of Fundamental and Applied Physics|
|The purpose of these tutorials is to support the Electricity and Magnetism lecture course. This course offers a solid introduction to electrostatics and magnetostatics. It also introduces fundamental mathematical methods required to solve problems in physics, engineering and applied mathematics.|
|Electricity and Magnetism|
|Students will be assigned problems on the following:
• Vector calculus, curvilinear coordinates, Dirac Delta Function.
• Electrostatics. Coulomb's Law. Continuous Charge Distributions. Divergence and Curl of Electrostatic Fields. Field Lines, Flux, and Gauss's Law. Electric Potential. Poisson's Equation and Laplace's Equation. The Potential of a Localized Charge Distribution. Work and Energy in Electrostatics. Conductors. Induced Charges. Surface Charge and the Force on a Conductor.
• Special Techniques. The Method of Images. Separation of Variables.
• Electric Fields in Matter. Polarization. Dielectrics. The Electric Displacement. Linear Dielectrics.
• Magnetostatics. The Lorentz Force Law. The Biot-Savart Law. The Divergence and Curl of B. Applications of Ampere's Law. Magnetic Vector Potential.
• Magnetic Fields in Matter. Magnetization. Diamagnets, Paramagnets, Ferromagnets. The Auxiliary Field H. Magnetic Susceptibility and Permeability.
• Introduction to Electrodynamics. Electromotive Force. Electromagnetic Induction. Faraday's Law. Energy in Magnetic Fields. Maxwell's Equations.
|Griffiths, D.L., 2012, Introduction to electrodynamics, 4th ed., Prentice Hall.|
|Leighton, R.B. & Feynman, R.P., Feynman Lectures on Physics (Volume 2), Pearson. (Highly recommended alternative reading.)|
|Students must submit assignments and obtain a score of 60/100 or higher to pass this tutorial course.|
|Students are encouraged to ask questions and discuss problems in this class.|